Pages

Feb 1, 2008

The Start of the Living Room

It's hard to believe it's February already-I'm still trying to figure out where January went, so if you see it out there, let me know. I have some "unfinished business" I left hanging around!

When the holidays are over and spring is still a few months off, I start gettin' antsy to start a new project. I find myself walking through the rooms in my house, plotting out what I can do, more importantly what I can afford, and how much time all these little projects will take. Unfortunately, the timing thing gets me every time!

"Hmmm. what about repainting the living room... couldn't take more than a weekend. What is it? A little tape, a little paint and I'm done". The reality check always comes MUCH later.

Reality #1- the "special painters' tape" you just blew $10 on WILL NOT STICK to baseboards that have not seen the light of day in months (and months). You will have to CLEAN the room first. This bothers me on many levels. I tend to make a huge mess during any project I take on (big or small) and cleaning something that I know will only get even messier later, bugs me.

Reality #2- Rooms with an 8 foot ceiling are much easier (and quicker) to paint than, say, rooms with 10 foot celings. Hey, lets factor in that a person who is deathly afraid of heights will take MUCH longer to paint said walls when trying to balance on a rickety ladder that should have been tossed out a while ago. Enter Son1 and Son2..."Mom.... why are your legs shaking? Do ya want ME to hold the latter?" Always answer this question with a polite "no" while quickly descending the ladder.

Reality #3- When a fresh coat of paint on your walls looks great.... your ceiling will look pitiful (see Reality #2)... now add a skylight and vaulted ceilings.....can you say "hire a professional?"

Guest what? Now it's Monday- back to work. Reality #4- one weekend will turn into one month (or more). I probably STILL won't be done.




I'm okay with the room at this angle. You can't see the dust or dirt on the baseboards. Shoot, the walls even look clean. Reality #5- they're NOT. I could even say that the upper right hand corner looks that way because of the light in the room. It's NOT. It is an accumulation of many things that a little soap & water would greatly help....except for that whole height thing!



I'm okay from this end too, except- hmmm, what was I thinking with that one wall? Even painted the door AND air returns to match! I'm thinking that one wall is a weekend unto itself- kilz anyone?


But this is my favorite.... this is the only wall in my entire house that has absolutely NOTHING on it-Why is that? I'm not sure. What makes it all the more special? It's the first thing you see when you walk in my front door. I'm sure my friends and neighbors are overwhelmed with my creative design work- they'll be clammoring for me to come and decorate their homes any day now!

And you? What projects will you start... and not finish this weekend? I'm right there with ya'.


Go PATS!


No comments: