Pages

Mar 13, 2008

Who Has These In Their Home?

These are the cabinets in my bathroom. As a matter of fact, when I bought this house 15 years ago, ALL the cabinets in the house were this type. I'm not sure what they're called, but I know they were VERY popular about 20 years ago (which is when my kitchen was remodeled-before I owned it).
Not quite my style... I definately would have chosen something else. White laminate? Not me.

My entire kitchen had these beauties, too. (nothin' against those that have them and love them, mind you). But I really wanted something else. Luckily, the cabinets themselves are wood- it's just the doors that are faux. So about 12 years ago, I had someone come in to give me a quote on replacing the doors. An hour later and $7500 in debt looming, I picked myself up from the floor and thought again. Again, lucky for me, my Dad is an awesome carpenter. Self taught, just like me in most of the things I do (both of my parents are pretty awesome, come to think of it).

This is what I have in my kitchen now.... SOLID OAK.....and GORGEOUS. All I had to do was pay for the wood and buy a new router bit for my Dad (kinda' burned the other one up!) and I got all new cabinets for under $500 bucks! Love you, Dad-you're the best.

He even made the fake fronts for the drawers that really aren't. All I had to do is replace the hardware.

For the most part, my house has been on the "country" side for the past 20 years. After my divorce, my tastes started to change (in addition to lifestyle, money, blah blah blah). I re-designed my dining room a year ago like this; and just finished my home office here in styles that are kinda' out of my element. I know, just call me "rebel divorcee lookin' for a change" (sounds like an ad for the personals...NOT).

If my Dad were able, I know he'd be here tomorrow to hook me up. I'm just glad he's here period. So I'm thinkin' about making a few changes myself on the cheap. Look out master bath.

I'll be making friends with my new best bud... Kilz in a can. LOVE IT!
I'll let ya' know how it turns out.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi it's been a while and just been wondering if everything's ok. Nel

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.