Pages

Apr 23, 2007

Dining Room Re-Do

Okay...so I have taken the "after" photos of my Dining Room remodel. Unfortunately, I did not unearth the "before" photos from my album (see previous post... aka..diaper bag!) but if you can envision that everything shown with regard to the furniture was once a very dark, traditional mahogany, Victorian dining set, then maybe that can take place of the befores. The chairs were covered with a very worn, dark green crushed velvet! I much prefer the new fabric. I have used it in my bathroom (photos to follow in a later post) and I think they turned out great. Much brighter and more me.

As a personal aside, this set was purchased for me about 10 years ago by my now EX husband at a time when I was into the dark, heavy & ornate Victorian style. The walls were painted a dark green on the bottom, with a cream color above the chair railing and a cut work, wallpaper border around the top. Let me tell you, the wallpaper border was a BEAR to remove...never again!

My then husband left four years ago, and slowly but surely, room by room I have started to reclaim my house in a brighter, more open look that works better for me. In the past few years, I worked on the enclosed porch, the master bath, the gardens (although we CANNOT mention my backyard!)and the largest undertaking thus far... this room.
So onward.... I have gone from dark green & cream walls, dark green velvet curtains, and mahogany furniture to this! I LOVE the new look and feel it is truly reflective of who I am. It's amazing what paint, time, and inspiration can do... not only for a room, but your outlook on life. I hope you enjoy looking at these photos as much as I enjoyed pulling it all together!

This is the view from the Great Room looking into the Dining Room.

This is the view on the opposite side looking in from the kitchen. At one time there were doors leading into the room on both sides- I took those down a long time ago and it really opened up the space.

My apologies for the weird angle on this one- the ceilings are 10 foot tall and getting a good shot is kinda' hard. One of the maintenance men I work with made the valance form for me, then I covered it in material to match the chairs. The hangings are done in a coordinating fabric (also used for the place mats I made) and have a glass bead fringe on the bottom that looks awesome when the morning light comes through. I was lucky enough to find the trim at 70% off when a fabric store was going out of business (gosh... will I miss them!!).

This is a better shot of the bottom of the front windows. The large stain glass piece I bought about 10 years ago at a local antique shop for $50 bucks (what a deal!). The two smaller pieces I bought on-line for half price at the Home Decorators site- $14 a piece, but the shipping blew that deal!

These are the chairs- I think they turned out great!

This is the "table scape" I leave set for the most part. I like to alternate some of my depression glass with my china pattern, and I just got the salt & pepper set from EBay last month! I made the place mats out of the same material used on the hangings on the valance.

This is the buffet wall with a part of my depression glass collection. I love the combination of the pinks and greens... it's a shame that I'm running out of room. However, I do have one more wall shelf for the top of the mirror that I'm saving. The shelves were purchased at Wal-Mart for $11 a piece. They were originally black, so I kilzed them, and applied 2 coats of paint to match the wall.


This is a close up of the buffet with some of my carnival glass collection. I "spruced up" the lamps by adding the same trim I used to trim out the mantel treatment.


This is the fireplace wall which opposes the buffet- it's looking a little stark due to the ceiling height...but my girlfriend is working on a watercolor for me to hang over the doorway to the great room (hey, Heide Marie...what's the status?)


And this is the china cabinet. Needless to say, this one piece took me the longest! I started out trying to tape around the fret-work on the front...JOKE. I ended up just slapping the paint on then scrapping the glass with a razor when it dried. A WHOLE lot easier!

9 comments:

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

Oh.my.Goodness! What a beautiful room! I pictured how the old darker room must have looked and I can't believe the transformation...the white is SO much better. Your accessories are perfect and that large piece of stained glass for $50 - amazing!

Could you please tell me what kind of paint you used for your furniture, oil or latex? and what sheen? I have a coffee table that has been primed forever and I'm really stumped as to what type of paint to use for the sake of durability. I have three kidlets and this coffee table will be used a lot. I'll probably end up putting a thick piece of beveled glass on top anyway to protect the surface, but I've always wondered about what people use for dining tables and other well used pieces of furniture.

Thanks again for letting me know about your blog. I'm going to spread the word!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Great job and very inspiring! Kim's blog was the first one I ever read too. Good luck with your blog and keep those pictures coming. I know I'll visit a lot.

Lora said...

Kim
Thanks so much for taking a minute to look things over..I appreciate it so much!
I acutally asked the man at the Home Depot what he suggested (the color is white with a trace of yellow to make things glow a little more). My Home Depot man suggested outdoor porch & floor paint- it's thick and has a nice sheen to it already. I put 2 coats of primer down first, then 2 coats of paint. So far so good... my sons (10 & 11) have not chipped the chairs or table with army men and their usual arsenal of toys, but I keep a small mason jar in the back of one of the china cabinet doors for touch up. I'll be checking your blog for the update...is it the dining table you cut down for a coffee table? I thought that was a great idea so I'm keeping my peepers open for the same in my living room.

Thanks again!

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

Oh, porch paint - great idea! Is it the oil-based or latex and does in come in different sheens? Sorry about all the questions, hehe, but I've had that coffee table out on a covered porch forever waiting to be tackled. Oh, yes, it is the little dining table that I cut down. I don't know if you ever saw it primed back when it was still in my living room... you can get an idea of what it will look like painted white. Now I know what I should be using. Thanks!

Lora said...

Kim
Sorry for the delay getting back to you-I had to check the paint can when I got home from work tonight! The paint is Behr Premium Plus Porch & Floor Paint; Ultra Pure White Base #6705; 100% Acrylic Latex; Glossy Sheen.

Hope that helps and I can't wait to see the table.

Lora

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

Thank you, Lora! I was so glad to read that it's latex, hehe! Oil based is so hard to work with...

Thanks again - now I don't have any excuses to not paint my coffee table!

Anonymous said...

Your room is really, really beautiful!

Sherry

Cindy said...

That looks great! Now that my bedroom furniture is all painted white, I'm on the lookout for a old dining table and hutch or china cabinet to do the same thing. yours is so inspiring!

Donna said...

Your room is gorgeous and I love your pink and green Depression glass. I can't wait to see more pictures!

Donna