Pages

Apr 30, 2007

Making Friends With Mr. Powerwasher...

For those of you in the same situation (both the "wo" and the "man" of the house!), you can attest to the NUMEROUS things you find yourself having to learn. Lucky for me, I was born one of two daughters and both of my parents believed in doing things yourself, and took pride in what they could accomplish- I am fortunate that they passed that drive and determination on to me (and I hope to pass the same on to my sons!).

So my week long project has been to power wash my decks and stairs outside-this has not been done in SEVERAL years and things were starting to look pretty filthy around here! So I begged one of my co-workers to drop the power washer off at my house (the thing is heavy!!) and I've been acquainting myself for the past few days with the finer points of power washing. 'Couple of hints...wear waterproof shoes, do NOT aim directly at the house at less than 6" away and not expect to get SOAKED, at 2 " not only will you remove the grime, but a goodly portion of the wood, and be careful if your 12 year old offers to help (who happens to be on the slender side)- the pressure can knock him back!!

Here are a few of the befores of one of the back decks...I'll load the afters tonight.


Yes... I attempted to do this at first, by hand, with a spray bottle of bleach and a hose. Let me tell you, I would still be there next April! Notice the lovely shade of black covering the entire deck (along with the charming green against the walls!).

Oh the joys of cedar shingles.... can you say "vinyl siding, anyone?"

Trusty old ladder, standing at the ready!

1 comment:

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

I would love your siding even without being cleaned! It looks great!